Friday, January 3, 2014

31 Day Journey, Days One through Three

A friend posted a challenge...a 31 day journaling challenge. It was actually on the website The Art of Manliness, but it seems really intriguing, so I'm going to give it a shot. Obviously I will adjust if something is "man-specific," but let's hope that the awkwardness is kept to a minimum, eh? ;) Also, I'm behind, so we are going to cram three days into one. Ready? GO.

Day One: Why Journal?

I like journaling...mostly because I like writing. It's therapeutic and I get to share my thoughts. I've always had a secret wish to be a writer. It's funny though, for something I love doing and find so soothing when I do, I rarely make time for it. I think it's that way with a lot of important things in my life. I let myself get so busy doing "things" that I forget to make time for what is really important. Or, to be totally honest, I let myself make excuses for not doing those things (like running, time with God, writing, REST)and then tune out the guild with some other mind numbing activity, like watching Netflix.

So I guess what I'm hoping from this is that I get in the habit of writing more often. That's why I chose to use my blog instead of a journal. There is a level of accountability here...from my 3 readers. ;) I'm sure some of these posts will be personal, but I don't mind being transparent. I've found that I've always learned the most when people are honest and real. Sure, there are your standard "right answers" to everything, but when those answers just make you feel like more of a failure because you struggle with them, that doesn't really help. It helps to know that other people have the same issues and struggles as you. It's comforting to know that you are not the only one who struggles with making time for Jesus, keeping to a fitness plan, money management, or breaking free from harmful relationships. There is hope in knowing that other people you respect and look up to struggle with their appearance, or with feeling loved. So even if it is forever emblazoned on the internet, I'm ok sharing my struggles because maybe they will help someone else.

Day Two: The 6 Word Memoir

Learn from the past, be stronger.


Day Three: Add Benefit to Your Life

First, can I just say how hard it is to not read ahead and see what the future entries will be?? Haha, I love surprises, but I hate waiting for them!

Anyways, today's entry is something beneficial or positive that I want to add to my life. It can be anything from a simple health habit (flossing every day) to something more intense. The problem is, there are SO MANY things that I want to add to my life. But part of a journey is learning how to take one step at a time, right? I think that "writing more" is a cop-out because I've already committed to doing that...so for now, I will say that what I want to add to my life is being in bed and asleep by 11pm at least 3 times a week. I went to bed the other night at 8:30pm (I had to be up at 5am the next day) and I felt amazing. I tried it again last night (was asleep by 11) and, despite my exceptionally noisy neighbors best efforts, I seemed to get a pretty decent sleep. It was also a little easier to get up in the morning...which will make it easier to get back to running in the mornings when it warms up around here! I know it seems silly, but I have learned one thing: when you are trying to make changes in your life, small, baby steps are the best way to go. Hopefully more sleep leads to more energy, more productivity, and time better spent!

1 comment: