Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The thin spots....

Well, actually it's just been the last few days. On Sunday, I left church to go pick my sister up for Vertical, our high school service. I was in a hurry because I had to be back for run through for our junior high program, Fusion. Everything was fine on the way there. On the way back however, right after I got on the expressway, it felt like I had a flat tire. I wasn't really comfortable with the area I would've have gotten off in, so I just prayed out loud the entire way back that we would just make it to the church. My little sister even good humorously made a joke about playing "Jesus Take the Wheel" by Carrie Underwood.

We made it back to the church and I jumped out of the car to see how bad the tire damage was....but the tire was fine. I was frustrated and confused, but hurried into the church to finish my message and get ready for run through.

After services, my sister and got in the car to go, and now it was making funny noises by that tire in addition to driving weird. I had my friend hop in and his final verdict was that he didn't know what was wrong, but I shouldn't drive it home. While we were standing around trying to figure out what could be wrong, how I would get home, etc, I noticed the tire looked like it was leaning away from the car. We got a flashlight out and discovered that 4 of the 5 lug nuts that were supposed to secure my tire were missing. Slightly terrified that we almost died and immensely relieved that we didn't, my sister and I got a ride home and another friend agreed to pick me up in the morning and get some new lug nuts.

We got back out to the car and my buddy was attempting to put the lug nuts on, but could not seem to get to the bolts they attached too. I suggested that it was because the tire was tipped out. So he went to take the last lug nut off and the bold it was attached to snapped off! The other 4 bolts were gone as well. I had been driving 60mph on a tire that was held on by one bolt. The only thing I could think was that God was definitely watching out for us.

I wound up getting the car towed and fixed. It ended up being more than I originally thought, but still not bad. Regardless, this was unexpected expenses and my hours had just been cut at work. I was obviously re-doing my budget in my head, seeing as my check was going to be less then it normally was. I went to work the next day and when I got home, I checked my mail. I had the normal assortment of flyer's and such, but I also had a card. It was about the size of a thank you card, so I assumed it was from the wedding I attended that past Friday. (Although, I was honestly amazed that the newlyweds would get thank you cards out that fast. Honeymoon vs thank you cards? Honeymoon wins every time!) I tossed the mail on the stand and went to let the dogs out and change out of my work clothes. When I finally picked the card up to open it, if felt slightly thicker then a normal thank you card. I didn't think anything of it, because the invites for the shower's had been thick due to the scrap booking efforts of the bride and her friends. When I opened the card however, there was not a thank you regarding the wedding.

There was a note thanking me for the work I do with Fusion and for the time I invest in the kids. There was also 5 crisp $20 bills. I have no idea who sent the card. The didn't sign it and there was no return address. All I do know is that, once again, God showed up in an unexpected place. It was postmarked the day before my car had broken.

In our Life Group, we are reading a book that talks about the thin spots, where heaven and earth meet. This was a thin spot for me. The earthly needs/issues I had this week were met by a touch of heaven, a loving whisper from my Creator.

I'm not sure why people would prefer to believe that we are here on accident, or that there may be a higher power, but it is distant and not involved with us. I see evidence everyday of a loving God, that created and is currently perfecting me (if I'd just get out of the way!!)...a God who uses people to touch others hearts. He is not distant, but is incredibly close by, if only we would acknowledge Him.

I know most of this post has been the back story of the car, but I hope anyone reading has made it this far. We have the breath of God within us (Job 32:8)....it makes us intelligent, not just in an academic way, but in a holy way. When we let Jesus' breath fill us, we begin to think and act more like Him.

Whoever sent me that card, thank you for breathing the breath of the Almighty. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment